[Zope-CMF] Re: [Zope3-dev] Retaining ease of customisation

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Nov 24 03:48:43 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:

>On Wednesday 23 November 2005 16:41, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>

>>I think there needs to be a solution for making quick, preferably TTW
>>customisation of UI templates. As Tres pointed out, this shouldn't add a
>>performance overhead and lead to maintenance woes for those who know what
>>they're doing. Ideally, the site admin should be able to switch this off.
>>Or even, the view creator should have to turn it on (e.g. by using a ZCML
>>directive that makes a template TTW customisable. Or something). I know
>>this strays away from best practice, that people will slap in crazy
>>python: statements in TAL etc. Having a way of dumping this stuff to
>>"real" views would be good, even necessary. But I think ignoring these
>>users because the approach that's most accessible to them doesn't fit with
>>  the purity of our framework will seem to them elitist, and it'll probably
>>drive more people to ruby-on-rails, who sell themselves on how easy it is
>>to get started.
>>

>You should have a look at CPSSkins for Zope 3 (developed by the Z3ECM
>project).
>
>Regards,
>Stephan

Hi Martin, Stefan!

There's a lot of work going on just to solve these issues (TTW /
filesystem, customization, creating settings, exporting resources to the
filesystem, ..), but on an application level and not in the way you
think. What is made customizable is not an entire template, but only the
resources used by the "template". Also the page composition is done
entirely TTW. So the need for a template to create an manage entire
sites disappears.

see for instance:
"Unified model for managing application resources"
http://www.z3lab.org/sections/blogs/jean-marc-orliaguet/2005_11_10_unified-model-for

The separation of concerns (the site manager manages filesystem and TTW
resources, page designer manages pages, content  author manages content
, ...):
http://www.z3lab.org/sections/front-page/design-features/editing-screens/

Using ZPT pages to create portlets through-the-web
http://www.z3lab.org/sections/front-page/design-features/custom-portlet/

my impression is that if you want TTW editing you'll have to do it on an
application level using what's available in the framework (utilities,
ZPT, ...) Zope3 allows you to do this already and in a much cleaner way
than with zope2..

Regards
/JM