[Zope-CMF] Re: [Zope3-dev] Retaining ease of customisation

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Nov 24 06:18:15 EST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:

>> my impression is that if you want TTW editing you'll have to do it on
>> an application level using what's available in the framework
>> (utilities, ZPT, ...) Zope3 allows you to do this already and in a
>> much cleaner way than with zope2..
>

> That's great! How to make this work in the context of a Zope 2/CMF
> setup, the one Martin is working in? Remember the legacy codebase
> here; it's not an option to throw it out just like that.

Hi,
through Five I guess :-) I don't have the competence though or the exact
vision on how to do it. What I'm doing though as a matter of philosophy
is to stick as much as possible to standard Zope3 concepts (adapters,
utilities, ZCML, event subscribers, views, ...), to make the backporting
from zope3 to zope2 easier.

The difficulty is to do the first "plug" into zope2, but then since the
application make a *huge* abstraction of what's underneath it shouldn't
make much of a difference if it's plone, cps, zope3. The zope2 version
was already trivially ported between CMF, CPS2, CPS3, Plone1, Plone2, ..
thanks to the abstraction.

> The task of porting CPSSkins for Zope 3 into Plone seems a bit
> daunting at first. I'm sure there are bits and pieces that can perhaps
> be taken without the whole framework though. Where should people start
> to look?
>
> Regards,
>
> Martijn

It's very much a prototype right now which does a lots of things, but a
lot of the work is still being done on a conceptual level. The best
contribution right now is in term of use cases, design, separation of
roles, workflows, use of resources (I'm not convinced about Martin's TTW
approach to TTW views for instance), and in basic framework modules
(such as exporting data from ZODB to the filesystem, etc.. such as
fsync, or any CMFSetup type of IO function that would be shared between
Zope2 and Zope3)

regards /JM