[Zope-CMF] Re: [CMF-checkins] SVN: CMF/branches/1.5/C CMFSetup: added support for configuring content type registry.

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sun Oct 16 14:34:31 EDT 2005

yuppie wrote:
> Hi Tres!
>

> Tres Seaver wrote:

>> Stefan H. Holek wrote:
>>
>>> Right, so at what point is the content-type-registry supposed to be
>>> added now? Plone Site creation breaks after this checkin with:
>>>
>>>   File "/Users/zope/plonehd/Products/CMFCore/utils.py", line 83, in
>>> getToolByName
>>>     raise AttributeError, name
>>> AttributeError: content_type_registry
>>

>> Plone needs to kick off a "CMFSetup profile" which creates all the tools
>> before trying to use them.  Over time, there will be *nothing* left in
>> the PortalGenerator class:  everything it used to do will be handled in
>> a profile.
>>
>> For BBB, we should chat about what actually happens here.
>

> I can't see any need to remove code from PortalGenerator on the 1.5
> branch. So far CMFSetup was an optional component of CMF 1.5. Are you
> sure you wanted to remove that code from the 1.5 branch?

I don't want to make life harder for anyone than necessary, but I
*really* don't want to encourage anyone to consider CMFSetup "optional"
for 1.5-derived stuff;  the kind of effect Stefan reported is *exactly*
why I want to make the setup stuff declarative, rather than procedural.

 We can revert the PortalGenerator part of that change, if needed, but
it should have a *huge* DeprecationWarning associated with it (the whole
module, I mean).

> Regarding the trunk (CMF 2.0):
>
> Up to now I tried to keep manage_addCMFSite and PortalGenerator intact
> for BBB, but this becomes more and more a big burden. So meanwhile I
> would agree with dropping support for manage_addCMFSite, PortalGenerator
> and related code completely.
>
> This would mean that all products built on top of the CMF have to ship
> with a GenericSetup profile for CMF 2.0.

Right:  any product which expects to configure a "site" should ship with
one or more "base" profiles;  any product which offers optional features
should ship one or more "extension" profiles.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com