[Zope-CMF] Re: CMFSetup: workflow scripts as external methods

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Oct 24 14:31:44 EDT 2005

On 24 Oct 2005, at 18:29, Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> - External methods gain support by extending the saved
>>> information to
>>> collect module/function values for external methods instead of
>>> trying
>>> to read the body. This *will* make an import blow up if the
>>> filesystem code the external method relies on is not in the expected
>>> location
>>>

> We can make the failed attempt to import the EM create a log entry,
> without aborting the whole import;  OTOH, having it fail would tell
> you
> that you hadn't installed all the software you neeeded.
>
> +1 for fleshing out the ".em" files for EMs (in fact, we just ran
> across
> that sprinting today).

OK, so I'll add an implementation.

There should be some very obvious feedback when an external method
cannot be found during a profile import. A blowup would be the most
obvious feedback ;)  The manage_tabs_message that shows up on the
Import view only enumerates the name of the steps that have run,
probably not a good idea to subvert that for this new kind of
information. I'm not sure that a log message that disappears into the
Zope event log is enough. Soon enough you will see strange workflow
errors and it might not be obvious right away that a script object is
completely missing.  My gut feeling says "blowup is better" - any
good arguments against it?

jens