[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF roadmap update

Rocky Burt rocky.burt at adaptivewave.com
Wed Apr 26 06:52:41 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-26-04 at 05:44 -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

> yuppie wrote:
> > Tres Seaver wrote:

> >> I believe the work which Philipp and I did at PyCon will land for Zope
> >> 2.10 / Five 1.4.  Until then, we don't have any story for view
> >> customization:  sites which depend on such customization will need to
> >> continue using the skins.
> >>
> >> Once that work lands, we should be able to integrate the UI from the
> >> prototype, which shows the template-driven views for a given object, and
> >> allows creation of a new templatee in the nearest "site", shadowing the
> >> global view.
> >

> > Are you talking about the 'zpt customization prototype' that won't be
> > ready in time for Five 1.5/Zope 2.10 according to the log message for
> > http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/checkins/2006-April/001310.html?
>
> Yes.  I am most disappointed to see that work shelved for another six
> months.  I am not convinced our release cycle is working in our favor here.
>
> > I'm not happy with limiting TTW customizations to zpt customizations.
> > That will force people to add their custom logic to the templates. The
> > goal of views was to move in the opposite direction.
>
> Customization is hard: without TTW modules we *can't* do customization
> of arbitrary view logic.  The templates which the prototype produced
> were going to enable the "inline Python" feature (currently possible in
> Z3's "ZPT Page" content type), which would have allowed a somewhat more
> manageable chunk of that use case.
>
> Those templates would then be wired together with the "original" view
> class from which the customization was done to create the overriding view.
>
> > But I have no time to work on something better.
>
> Nor I.  CMF can't do more than Zope2 / Zope3 / Five will support.

Well, there is also zope.webdev (z3-only right now).  Last time I worked
on that with Stephan and Bernd we had it to a point where you could
create view components TTW (we hadn't tackled customizing existing
views).  But you could define the raw python code for a view class and
the template all TTW and then update it and changes would be reloaded,
etc.

I haven't looked at this in a while and I'm not sure where it plays into
the whole scheme of things though.

- Rocky

--
Rocky Burt
AdaptiveWave - Content Management as a Service