[Zope-CMF] Re: [Plone-developers] Re: Re: The components of Archetypes

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Jan 13 17:52:47 EST 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:56:21 -0000, Rocky Burt
<rocky at serverzen.com> wrote:

>>  - Ability to make custom views easily
>
> Customizing views happens with overrides.zcml today.  No plone_schemas
> required.  This should work for widget customizations as well.
> Obviously as we've all discussed this needs a TTW customization
> component.

Actually, I just meant the standard view of a content type... I suppose
that's easy enough, was just listing things I do with Archetypes :)

>>  - DC metadata
>
> I *hope* Five lets us use IAnnotatable today.  As it stands zope3
> provides a very nice DC metadata implementation built on top of
> IAnnotatable adapters/functionality which is quite nice.  Although I
> haven't confirmed if this works using z2+five yet.

And would these have standard accessors and be indexable in the catalog?

>>  - A way to create custom fields + widgets
>
> overrides.zcml in the short (and long term) from the filesystem.  But
> again hopefully there will be a TTW ability also in the long term.

Well, I meant *new* fields and widgets, really. Again, I suppose Z3 has
machinery for this.

> Keeping in mind here that the intended actions should result in breaking
> up archetypes into separate products/components.  So a lot of this
> functionality which is considered standard archetypes functionality
> probably *shouldn't* be.  But gaining that functionality from other
> standard products is obviously desirable.  Thankfully zope3 provides a
> lot of the starting functionality (or at least a lot more than zope2
> did).

That's kind of the point - I'm trying to see where/how we could make new
components to supplement the Z3 schemas in a way that gives us the power
we currently enjoy with Archetypes. That way, AT's internals could at some
point conceivably be replaced with those components (which would probably
be implemented based on the lessons from AT) and we'd end up with one code
base to maintain (or so the plan would go .... mmm)

Martin

--
(muted)