[Zope-CMF] Re: [z3-five] Re: RFC: backporting including python-package-product support to support Zope 2.8

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Jan 16 07:12:46 EST 2006

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:26:09PM +0100, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> | Then again, Zope 2.9 is "stable" (people don't really trust a .0
> | release) and we could release Five 1.4 any time after Rocky is done. So
> | there's really no reason for people NOT to upgrade, I guess.
>
> There is at least one reason: People running python2.3 must switch to
> python2.4 for Zope 2.9. That's somewhat painful, at least on
> Windows.

AFAIK installing multiple Python versions on Windows isn't a problem.
Plus, doesn't Zope 2 ship with its own Python anyways?

> I don't recall if OS X comes with Python 2.4 by default.

Tiger ships with Python 2.3.5. However, compiling Python 2.4 from source
is a piece of cake, let alone fink, darwinports or gentoo portage which
provide the same kind of packaging capabilities to OSX as they do to
Linux/Unix distributions. I haven't met a single developer who uses OSX
and doesn't use at least one of those. And there's also MacPython which
is a pointy-clicky installer for OSX; it's also available for Python
2.4, IIRC.

Philipp