[Zope-CMF] Re: Re: RFC: backporting including python-package-product support to support Zope 2.8

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Jan 17 17:48:27 EST 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:41:23 -0000, Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com>
wrote:

> How urgent is it that all of this works with Zope 2.8? I guess it's
> urgent if you want to sell it to the Plone community, which will only
> switch to Zope 2.9 or beyond by next year or so, I expect. How much more
> often is this kind of thing therefore going to happen?

Zope 2.7 is now the officially supported shipped-with version of Plone
2.1, but we also support Zope 2.8. Many products, including mine, require
Zope 2.8 (or usually only Zope 2.7 + Five).

I believe the plan is to require Zope 2.8 and support Zope 2.8 for Plone
2.5 in the same way. I don't really see the problem with this, because
Plone 2.5 won't use any of this stuff internally anyway - it's only for
add-on products. I have no problem requiring the users of my products to
upgrade to Zope 2.9. I would assume that those users who want to use these
new features either don't care, or are sophisticated enough to find ways
around any particular backwards/forwards compatability problems they may
have.

So my vote is, leave Zope 2.8 alone if it's too much hazzle, and put the
effort into making sure Plone 2.5 runs flawlessly on Zope 2.9.

Martin

--
(muted)