[Zope-CMF] Re: RFC: backporting including python-package-product support to support Zope 2.8

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Jan 17 17:51:17 EST 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:37:41 -0000, Rocky Burt <rocky at serverzen.com> wrote:

> I think there are two reasons Plone 2.5 is targetting CMF 1.6 (instead
> of just going to CMF 2.0)
>   1) the risk that CMF 2.0 wouldn't be ready when plone -- and I'm
> pretty sure the 6 month release rule has already been adopted for Plone
> with Plone 2.1 -> 2.5 trying to be the first 6 month interval

This is correct, and PLIP freeze date has already passed, so now new crazy
things at this point.

>   2) CMF 2.0 changes too many things -- because of the plethora of
> existing plone products out there and the pains that people are going
> through porting them from Plone 2.0 -> 2.1, the Plone community is
> striving to not do the same thing going from Plone 2.1 -> 2.5

Even more true, and it's in pre-alpha 1. Yipes. :)

The broader point is we wouldn't really need it yet - we don't have any
code that actually uses these new features, and plenty of code that may be
broken by changes in CMF 2. All in good time - of course, if you want to
help work on CMF 2.0 compatability for the 2.5 branch when it starts
stabilising, all the more chance we can get it into Plone 3.0 :)

Martin

--
(muted)