[Zope-CMF] Re: GenericSetup doc

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Jan 25 05:42:14 EST 2006

Hi Tres! Hi Florent!

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Florent Guillaume wrote:
>> Here is some doc I wrote about GenericSetup:
>>
>> http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/florent_guillaume/2006_01_24_genericsetup-for-cps-cmf
>
> A very nice writeup.  Could we get it (or the non CPS-specific bits)
> added to docs for GenericSetup?

I just added a 'doc' directory and checked in the fragments of
documentation I had in my sandbox. Everybody is welcome to change and
improve those docs. Florent's writeup would be indeed a valuable
contribution.

BTW: In which checkin list do GenericSetup checkins show up now?

> A couple of points:
>
>   - The "selective export" think *used* to work;  I didn't know it was
>     broken.  I used it frequently in the project which spawned the
>     move from CMFSetup to  GenericSetup.

Florent writes about *incremental* exports, not about *selective*
exports. Selecting specific export steps should still work.

>   - The "upgrade" feature you talk about for CPS sounds a bit like what
>     the "version" attribute was originally for on import steps:  in the
>     original implementation, the tool knew what versions of import steps
>     had been run in the past, and you could see which steps were "newer"
>     (or had never been run) on the import view.  I don't know where that
>     feature went.   It seems as though we should either add your update
>     feature, or else resurrect the "version" UI (or maybe both?)

I have to admit that I never understood why import steps have a
"version" attribute. And I still don't understand that concept: Does
that mean each upgrade needs its own import steps?

Cheers,

	Yuppie