[Zope-CMF] Re: GenericSetup doc

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Jan 26 05:23:36 EST 2006

Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:

>>>   - The "upgrade" feature you talk about for CPS sounds a bit like what
>>>     the "version" attribute was originally for on import steps:  in the
>>>     original implementation, the tool knew what versions of import steps
>>>     had been run in the past, and you could see which steps were "newer"
>>>     (or had never been run) on the import view.  I don't know where that
>>>     feature went.   It seems as though we should either add your update
>>>     feature, or else resurrect the "version" UI (or maybe both?)
>> I have to admit that I never understood why import steps have a
>> "version" attribute. And I still don't understand that concept: Does
>> that mean each upgrade needs its own import steps?
>
> The use case was that, over time, an import step might be updated.  If you
> had installed your site before the update, then your configuration might
> also need to be updated.

I first was confused by these sentences because currently
import_steps.xml just registers handlers which might be used by many
profiles. So reading "import step" I thought you meant the import
handler. But if an "import step" represents a subset of a specific
profile this starts to make sense.

> Some version of the setup tool (maybe never
> publicly released) tracked the 'version' last installed for each step,
> and would show you the steps which were out-of-date, or had never been
> installed, in a way which made them easy to distinguish.  I think there
> was a convenience button which ran only such steps, as well.

I don't think I ever saw a version that implemented this. And I'm not
sure if GenericSetup should implement this. But at least I understand
now why import steps have a "version" attribute.

Cheers,

	Yuppie