[Zope-CMF] Re: caching policy queries

Miles Waller miles at jamkit.com
Thu Jul 6 04:41:41 EDT 2006

dieter at handshake.de wrote:

 > Miles Waller wrote at 2006-7-5 13:32 +0100:

 >> 1.  When 304 responses are enabled, if the function entered for
modification time or etag return anything other than a string, the
comparison always fails, and so the objects do not validate.

 > That does not sound reasonable...
 >
 > First of all, the CPM (caching policy manager) does not
 > compare itself. That's done by the objects themselves.
 > And I know that they do it right.
 >
 > Second, we use the DublinCore "modified()" in the CPM and
 > it works perfectly.

Thanks for clarifying - that's what I thought was happening.  I was
using a web cacheability testing site
(http://www.web-caching.com/cacheability.html) and that reported that it
did could not validate the objects when it sent conditional requests.
However, it now reports that it can whether the items are str'd or not,
so it seems like it wasn't related.

 >> 2.  Is there any way to get at the modification time for the actual
view or template that is being rendered?

 > No.
 >
 > The CPM model stipulates that the template/view is irrelevant
 > and only the content object counts.
 >
 > Obviously, the model is too weak -- but you can change it only
 > by implementing your own CPM...

I would quite like not to do that.  As the template id is available as
the string 'view', I thought it was just possible that there was some
way to get at some other details.

Thanks for the quick response.