[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] RFC: rethinking GenericSetup extension profiles

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Tue Jul 25 06:39:51 EDT 2006

Hi Martin!

GenericSetup uses a completely different approach than
CMFQuickInstaller. It is focused on states, not on changes.

The early versions of GenericSetup (FKA CMFSetup) didn't even have
extension profiles and importVarious handlers. I invented those hacks to
give GenericSetup more momentum, but especially importVarious was never
meant as a permanent solution. The GenericSetup UI is counter-intuitive
because it was built for complete profiles/snapshots. importVarious is
dangerous because it is a hack.

I know that so far GenericSetup can't replace CMFQuickInstaller. But the
fact people are missing CMFQuickInstaller functionality doesn't mean it
has to be implemented following the old patterns.

Install/uninstall code for CMFQuickInstaller is hard to write, usually
only add-on programmers do that. Just replacing python code by XML-files
will not make it much easier.

And now regarding your concerns:

- I don't think we should use the same machinery for configuration data
and content. (I know the distinction is fuzzy, but the big mass is pure
content.) AFAICS it is not very hard to specify areas that contain
content and should not be touched if profiles are reapplied.

- The procedure I have in mind depends on the ability to create
customization snapshots. As a first step the setup tool would create
this snapshot. In the next step it would combine all dependencies of
that snapshot minus uninstalled extensions plus new extensions. The
result is a profile that contains the latest data of all selected
profiles plus the customizations from the snapshot. This profile would
be used to reset the site.

- Speed is not that important. It doesn't hurt if it takes a few seconds
until a profile is installed or uninstalled. There are a few very
expensive tasks like creating indexes. The handler can make sure indexes
are not removed if the new profile needs the same index.

- I don't know if we really need a way to reset specific products.
AFAICT the more common use case is to reset specific objects like tools.
I'd prefer a tab on the object that allows to load preconfigured
settings instead of using the setup tool for that.

- While I hope we can get rid of importVarious it would be less
dangerous to use if only complete profiles are applied to the site.

Cheers,

	Yuppie