[Zope-CMF] Re: [RFC] [Patch] GenericSetup and encodings

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Jun 9 03:23:17 EDT 2006

Hi!

Yves Bastide wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>>
>> As you already mentioned setting default-zpublisher-encoding to
>> 'utf-8' doesn't really work. Just found that DT_Util.join_unicode has
>> 'latin-1' hardcoded, so properties with other encodings are not
>> supported by manage_propertiesForm.
>>
>> Given that I don't think we have to support other
>> default_zpublisher_encodings than 'latin-1'.
>
> As AJ answered me
> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.zope.devel/11655), Unicode
> properties should use the u- types (ustring, utext). So the way to
> proceed could be:

Well. So far we talked about utf-8 encoded strings, not about Python
unicode objects.

> * document that only iso-8859-1 \inter default_encoding string/text
> properties are supported

+1

> * ensure that the unicode types work (e.g.,
> TarballExportContext.writeDataFile don't accept unicode text)

+1

> * change GenericSetup users (CMF, CPS) to use u* when needed (e.g.
> title, description). Yep, sure :-)

If we don't switch directly to a Zope3 style schema+form solution.
Anyway we have to provide a migration path for the persistent iso-8859-1
strings. That is a big project. Volunteers are welcome.

Cheers,

	Yuppie