[Zope-CMF] Re: trouble applying extension profiles

yuppie y.2006_ at wcm-solutions.de
Wed Mar 29 08:15:31 EST 2006

Hi Rob!

Rob Miller wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>> Rob Miller wrote:
>>> - allow extension profiles to specify which of the base profile's
>>> import steps they depend on, so that only these can be run, instead
>>> of the current situation where, AFAICT, you have to either run them
>>> all or manually examine the profile and select the steps to run
>>>
>>> - draw a more clear distinction between the base profile and the
>>> extension profiles.  instead of having the extension profiles
>>> piggy-backing on the base profile, extension profiles would
>>> explicitly define all of their own import steps, so that they can be
>>> applied cleanly on top of existing sites w/o becoming quite so
>>> muddled w/ the default configuration.  this would also make it easier
>>> to implement an uninstall process that would remove the extension
>>> profile from the site.
>>
>> These solutions will create new problems regarding the procedure for
>> exports and re-imports.
>
> can you elaborate on this so i can understand the issues?  it seems
> that, for the first of these two options at least, it wouldn't be hard
> to make it work w/o actually changing any current behaviour.

Sorry. I have to differentiate more:

The problems with the first approach are different ones. First it is a
BBB issue: All existing extension profiles have to provide that
additional information before we can rely on it. And second there are
different opinions regarding the future of setup steps: IMHO they should
not be part of any profile and registered globally instead.

Regarding the second approach: Let's use the action handler as example.
The export step for actions is responsible for *all* actions, not just
those added by a specific profile. It would not make sense to export all
existing action import steps because the new profile has only one
actions.xml. A snapshot is a new profile and needs a new action import
step. We either have to collect all the import steps from each profile
we ever loaded or we have to remove import steps if they are no longer
needed. But we can't remove all import steps of non-active profiles
because the step_registries handler needs them for writing exports.

I don't say these issues can't be resolved, but I can't see the benefit
of the additional complexity. Why would this make it easier to implement
an uninstall process?

Cheers,

	Yuppie