[Zope-CMF] Re: Getting started with CMF

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Tue Nov 21 10:30:55 EST 2006

Am 21.11.2006 um 16:03 schrieb yuppie:

> Hi Charlie!
>

> Charlie Clark wrote:
>> I've been on the list for a while but it mainly seems dev traffic.
>> I hope it's okay to ask normal user questions!
>
> Sure. The CMF is not focused on 'normal users', in the first place
> it is a framework. CMFDefault is a sample implementation, its UI is
> not used by many people. But you are welcome to use CMFDefault and
> ask your questions.
>
>> Is there a "getting started with the CMF" anywhere? I've done some
>> fairly extensive searching but not come up with a great deal. As
>> I'm fairly familiar with Zope I'm quite happy with the
>> administration side of things but struggling more as a user. I
>> realise Plone is CMF+ and lots of the Plone documentation is also
>> applicable to CMF but if there is something out there I've missed
>> I'd appreciate a link! And if there isn't I'm planning to turn my
>> own notes into one.
>
> Some documentation fragments are in http://svn.zope.org/CMF/trunk/
> docs/, but they were not touched for many years. Don't know if they
> are useful.

Thanks! Better than nothing.

>> Regarding the CMF itself - is there any point in refactoring some
>> of the ZPT's to use CSS?
>
> We plan to replace all skin methods and templates by Zope 3 style
> views. All forms should be reimplemented using zope.formlib, so
> most templates will become obsolete. We could need help with this
> new UI, but working on the old one doesn't make much sense.

Now, where have I heard that one before! ;-) Okay. Which version of
CMF will be like this?

>> And would it make sense to break out the user controls from the
>> content itself?
>
> I don't understand what you mean. What do you propose?

I was doing some work on the main_template and it seemed that the
user_bar and menu_bar  context_actions, etc. would be a hindrance to
anyone not wanting to change their look and feel. So, as with the
news_box and the calendar_box I think it makes more sense to have
them included as macros from specific templates.

Some things I've hit with my first steps:
Something went horribly wrong when used some non-ascii in the site
properties (ZMI) throwing the usual "non-ordinal" error. Thing is the
error persisted even after I corrected the mistake and I can no
longer enter any non-ascii even using the correct page. I assume that
page has someone been tagged as non-utf-8 despite this being the
default encoding. I remember looking at the ZPT source on a related
issue. Non-fatal as I was easily able replace the site with another
instance.

I created a default site without calendar functionality and then
realised I needed it to be able to enter events. I added the calendar
tool to the site root but that didn't make it visible as a content
type for my users. While at this stage it doesn't really matter as I
can start again it has got me thinking about adding functionality
later on.

As for what I'd like to be able to do: customise the homepage to
include some content from elsewhere in Zope - ie. a football league
table. As I don't want to include this stuff on every page I
obviously don't need to patch main_template. Do I add my own
index_html in the site root for this?

Thanks

Charlie

--