[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] unresolved site manager related issues

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sun Apr 15 14:05:48 EDT 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 06:16:23 -0400, yuppie <y.2007- at wcm-solutions.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!

>>> By principle all Zope 3 code might depend on setSite to work as
>>> expected. We just don't pass that 'site context' explicitly to the
>>> component as in Zope 2.
>>>
>> contextual lookup is very a different notion, that context implementation
>> dependence. utilities don't have context implementation dependencies in
>> zope3, the majority of cmf tools do.
>
> Just so we are clear, can anyone point to a good example of a
> not-trivial-to-change place where CMF tools have inherent dependencies
> on acquisition?

Security is inherently "placeful" in Zope2:  it requires being able to
verify that the logged-in user is authenticated in a user folder which
is in the "scope" of the protected resource.

As far as I'm concerned, Zope3's model is *not* intrinsically superior:
 it doesn't support the use cases of the Zope2 model at all.  Let's just
forget the "Zoep3 is better" mantra and find a workable near-term
solution here:  if we have to re-implement / tweak some Zope3 machinery
to make it "play nice" in Zope2, then let us do so, rather than
distorting both in a misguided effort at "Zope3 purity."

 - If that means continuing to use 'getToolByName' for traditional tools
  which need Zope2 security, fine;  folks who implement new utilities
  which don't need that compatibility can register them as pure
  utilities.

 - If it's easier to hack the LSM stuff to automagically wrap those
   returned  utilities which implement IAcquisitionWhatever, fine;  if
   that means in turn that folks must use the Zope2 LSM version in
   subsites, fine.

This is not "rape" by any stretch of the imagination;  this is
"adaptation" at its best.  Let's be pragmatic here, please.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com