[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF collector on Launchpad?

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Mon Aug 13 07:55:50 EDT 2007

Am 13.08.2007 um 10:49 schrieb Hanno Schlichting:

> I'm +0.5 on moving away from anything on zope.org. I find the
> collector
> UI and speed suboptimal to work with. Launchpad provides a reasonable
> good bug tracker from my experience (I mostly reported bugs against
> the
> launchpad translation system itself in the past ;)).
>
> Personally I find trac a lot more efficient to work with, though. But
> it's UI is definitely geared towards developers (which is in the
> end the
> prime target group for CMF).

Trac certainly *looks* good and has done to highlight usability
deficiences of other bug trackers such as Bugzilla and Collector.

> I'll dare to speak out the unthinkable and as an alternative option
> suggest to move the CMF bug tracker to a trac instance hosted on
> plone.org.

Andrew Milton has at least done a wrapper so you can run Trac on a
Zope site. But having spent some time on Trac I would be against
using it in its current form for a product as complex as the CMF. It
has an appalling data model which is simply not suited to any form of
dependency.

> A common user database between the Plone and CMF bug trackers is a
> bigger benefit than the common user base between CMF and Zope I think.
> But maybe our two communities still don't overlap enough for that idea
> to work out ;)

I think there's merit in having some form of connection Zope -> CMF -
 > Plone for reporting bugs in which case I would be in favour of
either modifying Collector or Launchpad for our needs.

I've not posted or dealt with a great many bugs but have not found
the form of the Collector to be a big problem. It's certainly easier
to use than Bugzilla. What is often a greater issue is actually
tackling bugs that do get submitted.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark