[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] five.localsitemanager: proposal

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Mon Jun 25 15:53:22 EDT 2007

Hi.

I meanwhile managed to fix the issue that prevented all tests from
running and now the Plone 3.0 bundles use the head revision of the CMF
2.1 branch and five.lsm trunk again.

I have started to fix all the problems that have shown up now. We have
some custom tools for which I needed to remove the utility registrations
as those depended on self.REQUEST.

yuppie wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously yuppie wrote:
>>>
>>> MembershipTool depends on acl_users
>>>
>>> MemberDataTool, RegistrationTool, DiscussionTool and
>>> CachingPolicyManager depend on MembershipTool

>From what I can see in the Plone tests it won't be possible in any sane
way to let the user related tools to be utilities. At least for CMF 2.1
I think an approach trying to distinguish between safe and unsafe
methods is too risky and we should move those back to pure tools.

> So far I tried to decide which tool depends on self.REQUEST and which
> not. Maybe we need a more fine grained approach:
>
> MembershipTool doesn't depend on all methods of acl_users, not all user
> folder methods depend on self.REQUEST. IStandardUserFolder has not all
> the methods, but an interface that adds _doAddUser(), getUserById()
> and userFolderDelUsers() should be sufficient. Maybe that set of methods
> specified by a user folder utility interface doesn't depend on
> self.REQUEST.
>
> If that doesn't work, we can try the same with the MembershipTool: If
> not all methods of IMembershipTool work without self.REQUEST, we still
> can use a subset IMembershipUtility.

I would suggest we try this approach on the CMF trunk but revert to
tools-only for those tools for CMF 2.1.

> I'm optimistic these issues can be resolved one way or the other. But I
> don't want to spend more time on this before five.localsitemanager is
> better tested. I hope the current state of the CMF 2.1 branch is
> sufficient for testing five.localsitemanager with Plone and KSS.

Real world testing showed dozens of test failures and an almost unusable
live instance. I have meanwhile managed to fix quite a bunch of issues
so we you can at least create and view a Plone instance again, but the
number of failures showing up on the console due to missing REQUEST
variables in various tools prevents us from doing anything useful.

Hanno