[Zope-CMF] Re: eggification status?

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Tue Nov 13 15:55:29 EST 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> yuppie wrote:
>> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>>> A related question is: how do we want to eggify CMF? It seems to make
>>> sense to create one egg for the whole of CMF and a second egg for
>>> GenericSetup.
>>
>> Why not one egg for each CMF product? Can you please elaborate?
>
> *Why* one egg for each product? We'll just end up with the same egg
> madness that we have with Zope 3 (e.g. zope.app could've just as well
> stayed one big egg, IMO). It's not like the different parts of the CMF
> need to move at separate speeds...

The different parts don't need to move at different speed, but I would
see separate eggs as an option to drop some parts out of the bundle
again, which don't see any development at all.

For example CMFUid has never quite been expected as a first class
citizen of CMF, so having a separate egg for it, would allow us to not
use or develop it anymore, when there's really no one interested in it.

After all we are only talking about 8 eggs here and not a gazillion of
them like Zope 3 has.

Hanno