[Zope-CMF] Re: What is the status of GS wiping catalog indexes on catalog.xml import?

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Fri Feb 29 18:22:59 EST 2008

On Feb 29, 2008, at 21:08 , Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> On Feb 29, 2008, at 10:00 , Andreas Jung wrote:
>>> You don't have to wait for for new Zope versions. Defining the
>>> interface
>>> officially in Zope 2.10, 2.11 and trunk will raise no problems. I
>>> have no problems with putting this into the official release
>>> branches - or?
>> My personal opinion: I'd rather see the interface-based solution in
>> a  few weeks or a couple months (the next Zope release) than the,
>> umh,  less-than-professional solution that will stick around
>> forever. As  such solutions have a tendency to do. "It works now"
>> absolves everyone  from the task to come back later and improve the
>> solution, so no one  does.
>
> I agree in principle, however this has been left unresolved for far
> too long. I'm glad things are happening now, though!

I agree that something had been left unresolved, but it's a bit odd if
an issue languishes in the collector for a long time and then all of a
sudden several people come along and say it's a big deal. It can't be
such a big deal if there were no complaints in a long time.

Anyway, it appears Andreas' interface additions, even though they may
not be the final solution, pointed us there. Someone can amend that
interface to everyones' linking and we have it in the next Zope
releases. After that, it's a matter of adding adapter code to GS.

jens