[Zope-CMF] Re: License file question

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu May 29 07:56:35 EDT 2008

Wichert Akkerman, on 2008-05-29:
> Previously Maurits van Rees wrote:
>> Wichert Akkerman, on 2008-05-29:

>> > And when someone installs from that sdist and there is no MANIFEST.in
>> > you suddenly end up with installs which are missing data files, zcml
>> > files or other things.
>>
>> Is there a difference in that regard between easy installing an sdist
>> or a bdist_egg?  I would think/hope that the end result is the same.
>
> Yes. If you make the bdist_egg from a svn checkout it includes all files
> that are in subversion. If you make an egg from something else like a
> sdist or a svn export that does not happen (since the svn information is
> not available).

Without a MANIFEST.in, the egg resulting from an sdist that is
easy_installed is the same as a bdist_egg, right?  Indeed when I try
that for plone.portlet.static this is the case.  So having a
MANIFEST.in makes no real difference in that regard.

One difference is that an sdist created from an svn *export* may not
always be correct when there is no MANIFEST.in: when easy_installing
an sdist created from a plone.portlet.static export, I got a complaint
about a missing docs/HISTORY.txt as setup.py want to include that in
the long_description of the egg.  A bdist_egg created from that same
export is fine.

My conclusion is: as long as you remember to create an sdist or
bdist_egg from an svn checkout, there is no need for a MANIFEST.in.
There is one caveat: this will not include any empty directories in
your package even though they are under svn control.  A manifest file
may help there.

For reference, in the ploneout trunk only Products.PortalTransforms
and Products.ExternalEditor have a MANIFEST.in file.

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/