[Zope-CMF] Charsets

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Jan 18 14:36:53 EST 2009

Charlie Clark wrote at 2009-1-18 15:49 +0100:
>I would suggest that we work towards enforcing UTF-8 in where possible
>but at the very least add the accept-charset attribute to forms and
>use the portal's default_charset for this.
>
>I'd very much appreciate your comments on this.

The "Accept-Charset" request header should *never* be used
to guess a charset at the server side:

  "Accept-Charset" is a user preference which does not know
  anything about charsets used by the server.

If "utf-8" would not be treated with preference in the
current code, the code base would see massive problems.

Only the server knows which charsets it is using -- and it should
use a single one (with very few exceptions).
There should be a configuration option that tells this charset
and this should be used to decode form data.

--
Dieter