[Zope-CMF] Extending FTI.isConstructionAllowed

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Fri May 29 07:41:48 EDT 2009

I have a use case where I need to put additional restrictions on object
creation, in particular I need to restrict the maximum depth of items
inside of a container of a specific type. The ideal place to put such a
restriction seems to be the isConstructionAllowed method on the FTI.
Currently this method is not very extensible, which leads to complicated
code in various FTI types.

I am considering to add an extension point here, something like this:

class ITypeConstructionFilter(Interface):
     def __init__(fti, container):
         """Adapt on the FTI of the object being created and the target
container"""

     def allowed():
         """Check if construction is allowed."""

current checks such as the workflow check that was added in CMF 2.2, or
the type constraint logic Plone has in ATContentTypes could be moved to
such an adapter. The standard isConstructionAllowed method could then
query all registered adapters to check if construction should be possible.

Does this sound sensible?

Wichert.