[Zope-CMF] GenericSetup backport

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Tue Apr 26 06:04:38 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Godefroid Chapelle
<gotcha at bubblenet.be> wrote:
> I had made changes to GS registries (use ZCA instead of own registries)
> which got released in 1.6.3.
>
> I backported those changes to 1.4.
>
> http://zope3.pov.lt/trac/browser/Products.GenericSetup/branches/1.4-with-global-zca
>
> Can I merge to 1.4 branch ?

Please don't. The changes broke quite a number of tests and some of my
own code. It's bad enough this got into the 1.6 bug fix releases, even
though it's a feature change.

Most tests failed as the ZCA now has to be setup before calling
certain API's like "profile_registry.registerProfile". It's been a
very common pattern in Plone add-ons to call this on the module level
of a test to register a "test-only" profile.

We have adjusted most of the test layers for the recent Plone release,
so the change can stay in the 1.6.x series from my point of view. But
if would be a lot of pain to do this for Plone 3.x releases using
GenericSetup 1.4.

Hanno