[Zope-CMF] Switching to Chameleon

yuppie y.2011 at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Sep 29 03:33:47 EST 2011

Hi Laurence!

Laurence Rowe wrote:
> Plone tends to wait for CMF to stabilise before thinking of moving to
> a new version.

I doubt that strategy will work for Plone: Most CMF installations are
part of Plone installations. And Plone uses CMF in different ways than
other CMF installations. So the best way to get a battle-tested CMF
release is to help testing.

Besides that: Did you ever see trouble with unstable CMF releases?

> At least when I last looked around a year ago (after
> adding some workflow pluggability into CMF) CMF trunk broke far too
> much in Plone to consider it for a minor revision.

Was the Plone version you used for testing Zope 2.13 compatible? At that
time CMF trunk didn't have many changes that affect Plone. The
tools-as-utilities changes I recently made might require more work on
the Plone side. Especially in test setups.

> Hopefully someone
> will put the effort in to port Plone to CMF 2.3 in time for Plone 5.

Who ever that is: The upgrade steps for CMFDefault might give some hints
what needs to be upgraded. And you are always welcome to ask questions
on this list if you have trouble with upgrading.

Cheers,

	Yuppie