[Zope-CMF] 2.3

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Wed Apr 11 10:33:00 UTC 2012

Am 11.04.2012, 10:16 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2012 at wcm-solutions.de>:

> Just a general remark: The last time we added a warning to getToolByName
> it had to be taken back out. The protest was too big. No one wanted to
> spend the time on all the third-party packages that still use that API.
> What's worse, back then even the CMF packages were not switched to a
> pure utility model and would emit these warnings as well.

I think I remember. No warning then. We've still got a few instances of
methods (in ActionsTool) using it but I'm torn between replacing them with
the utility lookup plus fallback or leaving them as they are for 2.3 and
changing them without fallback later. The current code provides an elegant
lookup with fallback.

>  AFAICS the only thing we need to do for backwards compatibility is
> using registerToolInterface. So it isn't urgent to deprecate and remove
> getToolByName.

Okay.

>  It might be useful to write a howto for people who want to modernize
> their code.

Definitely.

Charlie
--