[Zope-CMF] [dev] tools as utilities

Charlie Clark charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu
Wed Sep 5 11:40:49 UTC 2012

Am 05.09.2012, 11:48 Uhr, schrieb yuppie <y.2012 at wcm-solutions.de>:

> I use a single Zope instance for several small CMF sites and I use .zexp
> export and import for moving CMF sites from one Zope instance to an
> other. Works fine for me. Even with Plone sites.

Even if it works for you I'm not sure that this is a use case we should
support.

>  The nastiest part of the bootstrapping issue is the fact that without
> the fallbacks currently in place you can't navigate to the Setup Tool of
> a CMF 2.2 instance and run the upgrades. The ZMI folder listing calls
> code that depends on CMF tools.
>  But fixing these issues is not on the top of my list. I just mentioned
> them for the sake of completeness.

Which is fine and something we don't do often enough!

>  2.) Site root lookup: =====================

>  In several tools we still assume aq_parent(aq_inner(self)) is the
> portal. Or other code uses the tool as context object, expecting root
>  and request in its acquisition chain.
>  These should be identified and replaced by
> getUtility(IURLTool).getPortalObject() or other suitable code.
> Maybe we could add a convenience API for that?
>  getToolByName can be used instead as it does the lookups.
>  getToolByName is no option because it is part of the machinery that
> should become obsolete.

Not sure that is should actually ever become obsolete. Much as I am in
favour of the interface-based lookup, these tools are an essential part of
the CMF.

>  getUtility(IURLTool).getPortalObject() might be overkill because it
> adds the request to the context. All the code that needs the request
> should be fixed already. Using queryUtility(ISiteRoot) should be
> sufficient.

>  But AFAICS the only way to find all the places where this needs to be
> fixed is to set up a site with tools that are not stored in the site
> root.

That's a big ask.

Charlie
--