[Zope-Coders] Zope 2.7 branch

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:56:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Shane Hathaway writes:
>  > I'm afraid of "cvs tag -d".  Is my fear justified?  Could it corrupt the
>  > version histories?
>
> I wish I knew for sure; there are certainly warnings against tag -d
> specifically for branch tags in CVS documentation, but I don't think
> it's clear what the ramifications are.
>
> I'll take a look at what it takes to actually implement "closing" a
> branch; I suspect it's possible in the typical case.

If there is such a thing as "closing a branch", that'd be great.

If not (and we feel it's worth doing something to prevent commits to
that branch), we can probably use the CVSROOT/commitinfo hook.

The invoked script would be passed the version, with an entry
something like:

#DEFAULT ${CVSROOT}/CVSROOT/precommit_filter %V %s

and if the version ("%V") being committed is within the version of the
branch tag, the precommit_filter script would complain (in a colorful
but informative way...-) and return an error, aborting the checkin.
No sweat.

--
Ken
klm@zope.com