[Zope-DB] mxODBC Zope Database Adapter

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 18:46:00 +0200

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>  > * are there any extensions to the standard interface (currently
>  >    there only seems to be a single .query() method in there),
>  >    which I could implement to better expose the rich ODBC
>  >    APIs (e.g. catalog methods come to mind) ?
 >
> Many DAs provide tabs to browse the schema.

I was thinking of APIs which would be used by web-site
programmers rather than yet another schema browser ;-)

Aren't there any standard for e.g. returning a list
of tables, columns and data types in these columns ?

> And, it would be nice, when we had also ways to add new tables,
> add columns and similar things (also I did not meet any DA
> that could do this).

Sounds like it would be better to have a generic tool
for this... creating tables and columns is certainly not
restricted to the DA but rather a task which depends on
the used database backend.

>  > And, since this is my first Zope product :):
>  >
>  > * is there a standard way to ship Zope products (the most common
>  >    seems to be: unzip + restart, but that doesn't strike me as
>  >    user-friendly and it also doesn't work with C extensions unless
>  >    you ship binary releases)
> You may look at ZMySQLDA. I think it makes it quite well.
>
> Due to Zope restriction, a Zope restart is unavoidable after the
> installation of a new product.

The restart is natural, but I would have thought that at
least on Windows products ship in form of Windows installers.
And on Unix, something like: download, unzip, run
"python setup.py install", restart.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH