[Zope-DB] DCOracle2.1.1 problems

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:39:35 -0400

DA Loeffler wrote:

>All my Number columns have a precision specified, so I must be using one
>of these brain-damaged setups.

Yes, it was NT that gave me the most grief on this, as I recall.

>Wouldn't it make sense, in the case where the precision and scale come
>back as 0, to check the result to see if its fractional part is zero,
>and if so return an integer? Since I am working under NT rather than
>Unix I can't recompile the module easily, I'm afraid, so I haven't been
>able to test this idea.
>
>David

The only place the code does this is in Stored Procedure data
demarshalling, I think.  The reason it doesn't try to be "smart"
otherwise, is that consistency in results is a virtue. :)

Personally, I think what you're seeing is a bug in SQLNET, but I dont
know that I would have much patience in getting Oracle to fix it.

I may at some time in the future add some 'hints' to connection objects
that may allow you to set a policy on number conversion, but I'm more
likely to scrap the existing number conversion routines and replace them
with OCI_OBJECT style conversion routines.

--
Matt Kromer
Zope Corporation  http://www.zope.com/