[Zope-DB] SQL optimisation: follow up

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:23:11 +0100

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>  > Funny that nobody ever considers using the open-source SAP DB.
>  > That's a full-blown RDBMS with a long history of being reliable
>  > and fast.
> A colleague made some tests (not completely systematically, not a complete
> test suite).
> SAP DB performed considerably worse than PostgreSQL in these tests,
> especially when the amount of data grew.

Strange, my observation is that SAP DB does really well on large
data (after all, it was designed for that). Unlike MySQL large
result sets don't lower the performance.

> He also had some problems with the ODBC drivers and the SAP DB
> admin tool.

If you don't like the ODBC drivers (which aren't that bad compared
to those of several other vendors), you can still use the SAP DB
native Python interfaces.

> He was transformed from a SAP DB enthusiast to an SAP DB doubter.
>
> SAP DB has also the more restrictive GPL license model.

The license model is GPL for the server, LGPL for the client
software (unlike the MySQL4 model, BTW, which seems to use GPL for
everything). That model is only slightly more restrictive
in that you have to follow the LGPL for implementating client
applications. But that's not hard since the LGPL doesn't
restrict the client application licensing.

The PostgreSQL is not clear about this: it looks as if they
are using a BSD license. Is that true ?

Anyway, just thought I'd mention SAP DB here,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH