[Zope-DB] Importing -> Disk full

Le grande pinguin rm@mh-freiburg.de
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:59:48 +0200

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:59:38AM +0200, Lars H. Korte wrote:
> Le grande pinguin schrieb:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:11:17AM +0200, Lars H. Korte wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to import a *.zexp File into Zope 2.6 which lies in /opt on a
> > > RedHat 7.2.
> > > During the import process the filesystem mounted on / gets full !!!
> > > Why that? What does Zope do on /, when it's supposed to hold it's data
> > > in /opt ?
> > > How can I change this? I cannot change the capacity for / !!!
> > > Any Ideas?
> >
> > What partition does your '/tmp' directory sit on? It's possible that
> > Zope needs to create temporary files and runs out of space in /tmp.
> >
> > hth
> >
> >   Ralf Mattes
> >
> > > regards
> > > Lars
> > >

> Hi,
>
> that was my first idea, too. But taking a look into '/tmp' during the
> import process, there are NO files that were created? I could not find
> any!

That doesn't mean anything. The classic Unix way of doing things like this
is:

 - open a (temporary) file.
 - unlink (delete) it.       <-- from here on the file is "invisible"
 - do your stuff
 - close the file            <-- as soon as the file is closed it's inode
                                 can be reused by the OS.

This is  nice use of the semantics of Unix/Posix unlink: a file will stay
arround as long as there is a file descriptor pointing at it.

> Can't I find something in the Zope-Sources?

Most likely not - Zope uses Python that very likely uses '(3) mkstemp'
or a similar libc function.
Two _possible_ solutions (after checking that '/tmp' realy sits on a
tight partition):

   - move '/tmp' to another partition (it should be possible by:
     'cp -ar /tmp  /opt/tmp && ln -s /opt/tmp /tmp')

   - start your Zope like this:
     $ export TMPDIR=/opt/tmp
     $ /etc/init.d/zope start     # or whatever your zope startscript is ..

 hth

    Ralf Mattes