Saga continues ([Zope-DB] DCOracle2: close connection doesn't)

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Oct 2 05:42:07 EDT 2003

actually, what no app will protect you from is bad sql. What Zope should
protect us from is dropped connections for long running SQL-executes.

In our app, the main reason for long-running queries is because of bad SQL.
We run our Oracle on an Sun 880 with 8 processors. This is a fast machine -
still the app is slow, becasue of the way the queries force the DB to do
stupid things, like iterate thru one table several hundred times just to
retrieve 10 odd rows from it (and this is a real world example, not
something I made up to show as an example).

I can live with Zope waiting for the DB to respond. What I cannot live with
is Zope waiting for a response on a connection that was dropped for some
unknown reason.

Cheers,

/dario