[Zope-DB] How to do analysis? (was Re: Saga continues...)

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Oct 2 07:17:58 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bo M. Maryniuck" <b.maryniuk at forbis.lt>
>On Thursday 02 October 2003 11:42, Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
>> What I cannot live with
>> is Zope waiting for a response on a connection that was dropped for
>> someunknown reason.
>
> The reason is: connection object is stored into volatile attribute to
> be stored without pickling. When __setstate__() is called (and called
> all the time) you call that object, if there is no such connection,
> then self.connect(self._connection_string) called in Connection.py
> (AFAIK).

<snip rest of excellent explanation>

I have one, really generic and slightly off-topic question: what do I need
to do to do this kind of analysis and gather this kind of forensic data?

I probably need to obtain some kind of Zope/Python Zen-hood, but I am a
quick learner - I just don't know *where to start*.

...maybe it is just a matter of reading of core code? I have tried to avoid
digging too deep into the Zope core code, because I simply don't really have
time to learn the inner-inner workings of Zope. However, we are doing more
and more stuff with Zope and relying more and more on it - perhaps it is
time to make time for deep deep understanding of Zope? So far I have tried
to stay on the "advanced user, don't need to know too much" side of the
fence... seems it is time to take the jump to the other side.

Sincerely,

/dario