[Zope-DB] Using xml-rpc and perl and external methods (and more...)

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Tue Aug 24 17:49:44 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-24 at 20:02:43 [+0200], Laura McCord
<Laura.McCord at doucet-austin.com> wrote:
> okay. I had seen some zope documentation where you can create perl-based
> scripts and I guess I assumed that I could use perl with external
> methods.

This is true. It was done as a proof of concept but as with PythonScripts
the problems of making the runtime secure are considerable and there was no
takeup because all Zope developers are Python fans.

and On 2004-08-24 at 20:13:07 [+0200], Laura McCord
<Laura.McCord at doucet-austin.com> wrote:

> Where would I find out how to run my perl script from python?

You should pickup a Python book. For this the "Pocket Reference" or the
"Python Standard Library" together with the online docs will probably do
but the "Python Cookbook" is a real good way into thinking Python. But
there is also an excellent mailing list python-tutor at python.org

I suggest you try this in an interactive session first: type python in the
command line.

You will need the os module

>>> import os

# may need os.path.append() to extend your path to

>>> r = os.popen("python test.py")
>>> r.read()
'hi\n'

I've called a little script that just prints "hi" and read its output. I'm
not sure if this is suitable for you but it should get you started.

Good luck!

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark