[Zope-DB] Interested in continued Oracle support in Zope?

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Thu Aug 26 06:39:17 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-26 at 10:44:31 [+0200], Dario Lopez-Kästen
<dario at ita.chalmers.se> wrote:
> We only use Linux or Solaris in production for our HA services. We have
> a few windows servers, but those are not used for any of the sites that
> need to access or serve Oracle-based data.
>
>  From my perspective, there is a problem in that in order to use ODBC on
> Linux (which we are moving towards for most of our web-apps), I need to
> a) use unixODBC and b) purchase a linux ODBC driver from EasySoft.
>
> This is a cost of about 3000 USD for the whole site (we use several
> machines). Then we have to purchase a similar site license for mxODBC.
>
> Compare this to the fact that we can switch to Java (which would get a
> big Hurrah! from some of the more Buzz-word compliant managers) or PHP,
> which is also favored here.
>
> So, from my own perspective,, it would be way smoother if there was a
> native Python driver for Oracle.
>
> I am not questioning mxODBC or anything, I am just pointing out that the
> decision to use or not use mxODBC is not a simple one.
>
> If it just was about the money, i think it would be no problems, but
> spending almost 4000 dollars (including licenses for mxODBC) and STILL
> having to rely on the non-commercial platform that is unixODBC, sort of
> negates the whole point of spending money on commercially supported
> software.

If it was about the money you certainly wouldn't be using Oracle! ;-)

If I understand the Easysoft website correctly then they are prepared to
offer for support for UnixODBC when their products, such as the Oracle ODBC
driver are used.

Of course, setting up ODBC is more work than a native driver. But
considerably less work than migrating your application to Java, PHP or
whatever. Have you actually tried an ODBC setup to see if it relieves the
problems you're experiencing with DCOracle2?

> And this very fact, may lead to choosing other platforms than Zope for
> apps that have to use Oracle. I just cannot justify the problems we are
> having with the Oracle drivers for python. I can only try to maske them
> so much, but as it is now, I may just have to consider Java, Perl or PHP
> based appservers instead.

Now you really don't want to do that... just think of all the extra
development and maintenance time!

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark