[Zope-DB] working with zope rdbms transaction mgmt

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jul 8 16:55:49 EDT 2004

Jim Abramson wrote:
> Thanks a lot for that advice, very helpful.
>
> And now for the finale:
>
> Is there a reliable way, somewhere within a series of statements during the request, to effectively commit the connection (without, of course, commit()!)  i've seen 'select sysdate from dual' work at times, as a way of 'committing', but I don't know exactly how dependable this is, or what happens under the hood.

Believe me: you don't want to do that.

> and the converse is also interesting: is there any reasonable way to 'fool' the tx manager by...uh... letting an exception go up a few levels before trapping it?

Sure, but there's no trickery involved. You can create
as many errors as you like as long as Zope gets to finish
the request in a proper state (which then results in a call
to .commit() internally).

Good luck :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 08 2004)