[Zope-DB] RFC: mxODBCZopeDA & ZEO

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue May 25 12:38:19 EDT 2004

Charlie Clark wrote:
>>>1) each Zope Product has to be installed and possibly configured locally
>>
>>Deployment of clusters is always "fun" ;-)
>
> yes, maybe. Can it be improved?

Network shares, Subversion, etc...

Myself? I setup a whole instance in Subversion and check it out onto any machien
I want a client one...

>>>3) heterogeneous clients may in some circumstances confuse each other
>>>configuration
>>
>>How?
>
> take the mxODBCZopeDA for example: if a connection is configured to talk to
> DSN=Chris or use a specific driver then this may not on all clients.

Ooo... ouch, yeah. Sounds like a system architecture problem. This is part of
cluster "being hard". Generally, having homogeneous nodes in a cluster is the
way to go, in which case the situation you describe shouldn't apply...

> This is an RFC targetted at those with real-life ZEO installations with
> RDBMS. The example you cite is one where I think it might make more sense to
> have a single connection

explain what you mean by connection.

> talking to several clients which do the rendering.

explain what you mean by client.

> But we don't really know how much ZEO is out there and how much of it uses
> Zope-DAs. We know that the mxODBCZopeDA works with ZEO but maybe it could
> work better.

explain what you mean by "works with zeo"

And there's PLENTY of ZEO out there ;-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk