[Zope-DB] Accessing the MySQL data dictionary

Ken Winter ken at sunward.org
Tue May 31 21:21:51 EDT 2005

I need to read the definitions of my database's tables, columns, and
constraints out of the data dictionary (or catalog, or whatever MySQL calls
its meta-data tables) from Python, via Z SQL methods or whatever else will
work.  I also need to be able to get "last update" timestamps on each column
and constraint definition.  ("Last update" means when the column definition
was last changed, not when the data in the column was last changed.)

The "show" and "describe" commands that I find in the MySQL Ref Manual give
some of this, but not all.

The nicest way would be to just do SQL SELECTs against the data dictionary
tables.  But if nice isn't possible, I'll settle for nasty.

- Thanks for your help or your reference

- Ken