[Zope-DB] Data.fs too huge

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu Sep 22 14:02:05 EDT 2005

rdl3 at compaqnet.fr wrote at 2005-9-22 16:46 +0200:
>The problem is that it's now 25 GB (yes!) and I have to pack it, you
>certainly understand why. But I've understood that when packing, zope
>creates a backup file named data.fs.old, which is , logically, the size of
>the previous database.
>BUT the folder containing data.fs has only 5 GB space left, and there is no
>other folder that could store such a big file on my server.
>
>So my question is :
>
>is there a way to prevent zope from creating a data.fs.old when packing ?

You may be lucky -- and packing may succeed despite the only 5 GB free
space:

    During packing, the required (still active) parts only
    are copied from the old storage to a new one.

    At the end of packing, the old file is renamed to "Data.fs.old"
    and the new one to "Data.fs".

Thus:

    The total amount of required disk space is the
    sum of the old and the new (packed) size.

    If the packed storage is smaller than 5 GB, packing
    will succeed.

Should it be larger, then you will need to modify the packing
code (tiny parts of it): It would then be necessary to
create the new storage on a different partition and because
renaming would no longer work (it does not over partition boundaries),
you would later need to copy it back.

--
Dieter