[Zope-DB] [Zope] Stored Procedures Versus ZSQL Methods

Charlie Clark charlie at egenix.com
Wed Feb 18 15:20:09 EST 2009

Am 18.02.2009, 20:24 Uhr, schrieb Allen Schmidt Sr. <aschmidt at fredericksburg.com>:

> Hey Charlie,

> What timing. I am having my server guys drop the trial egenix zope da in
> place as I write this. Seeing too many errors and oddities with the
> ancient MySQLDA we use now. Planning on converting all our mysql
> connections to the mxodbc connectors, but utilize the exact same name so
> we don't have to change every ZSQL method. Is this a sound practice? Or
> do you have any other solutions.

If MySQL is to stay as your RDBMS then this work perfectly. It's one of the nice things about Zope that you tend to overlook: some replacement components really can just be dropped in - the ZSQL methods just know the id of the connection. To be honest the 3.0 version of the ZMySQLDA isn't bad and some of the errors may be related to other things - I've recently had a project with key errors on cached ZSQL results which are independent of the DA. But I'm pretty confident that the mxODBC Zope DA is the best around but being able to access more of the underlying driver can be a real life-saver. One thing I would recommend is moving all you ZSQL to the file system if you haven't already done this.

>  Thanks and sorry for bothering you directly. Please let me know if not
> appropriate.

While I don't mind the e-mail at all. It's always good to keep discussions like this on list so to that others can join in or benefit.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
eGenix.com