[Zope-DB] Question Concerning Z SQL Method and Class Bindings

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Tue May 25 15:55:52 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 12:21 -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I don't think I phrased my question very well. Also, I am coming from
> a Java background, so I am thinking about result sets, which may not
> be applicable to Python.
>
> If I have a Z SQL Method query that returns multiple rows to a brains
> class, how do I
>
> (1) reference the returned object that has all the rows
> (2) reference a particular row in the returned object
> (3) reference a particular piece of data in the returned object.

"Brain" objects are bound to individual record objects; each brain
object has access to the columns of the record it is bound to.

There is no way to access the whole result object this way. This is not
something Python-specific but rather the way brains are designed -- they
are used to enhance individual records, not the result set.

> What is the returned object - list, dictionary, some special object
> with associated APIs?

The whole result set is an object of type
Shared.DC.ZRDB.Results.Results. Individual records are instances of  an
"inner class" r which inherits from Record.Record and the brain class
you specify (Python supports multiple inheritance).

Result objects can roughly be treated like lists (eg. iterable, allow
individual record access, have a length).

> Where is this documented? I can't seem to find it in the Zope 2 book.

Unfortunately this is largely undocumented.

peter.