[Zope-dev] PyGreSQL DA: help testing

Ross J. Reedstrom reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:32:02 -0500

Well Zopeists -
I stuck my neck out on the postgres-hackers list late last week, and
said I'd take a look at whiping the postgres DA into shape to work with
Zope2.  This involved modifying the PyGreSQL pgmodule source (wrapping
calls to the backend with Py_START_ALLOW_THREADS and PY_END_ALLOW_THREADS
macros), as well as the DB class inside ZPyGreSQLDA.

Well, I think I've at least got it limping along, at Level 2, using
the THUNKED_TM 'Kludge of the Century'.  I chose to pass the Zope
transaction points on through to the Postgres backend, initiating and
ending transactions via the _begin, and _finish calls. Hope this is how
it's supposed to work. I get what looks to be the correct set of lines
in my postgres logs.

It all seems to work in my hands, but this is my first attempt at
working with threads, and I've written very little Python, besides ;-)
So, I need help with suggestions on how to test everything. For this, I
mean formal regression-type tests, at the python module interface level,
both inside and outside Zope, rather than end-user, plug it in and see
if it works for me testing. Anyone?

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer