[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Zope direction and 2.2 roadmap...

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamars@ibm.net
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 23:27:34 +0200

Brian Lloyd wrote:

> I will definitely be interested in feedback from Zopistas on
> the effect of PMs on the sort of problems that tags like "local"
> and "set" propose to solve.

PythonMethods are wonderful!

After wasting a week writing a workflow tool in DTML, we junked it, and
started from scratch using python base classes and PythonMethods.  A week's
work on the part of two people was done instead in two days by one person.
DTML is good for what it's meant for (generating HTML), but for programming
python is the way to go.  So I'm no longer troubled by DTML, since I was
using it for something it wasn't meant for.

OTOH, DTML is a bit too magical for me in some cases.  I've had things not
work for no good reason, and rewriting them in PythonMethods always seems to
solve the problem.  And why did you do the sequence-key / sequence-item
thing using (('key', 'value'), ('key', 'value'))?  What's wrong with
dictionaries?  And it should be sequence_item, please.

I could live without DTML quite happily, but it's good to have it cause it
discourages you from going down the PHP path of embedded code in HTML.

--
Itamar S.T.  itamars@ibm.net