[Zope-dev] Python Methods commited

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:52:05 -0500

On 12/17/99 3:41 PM, Evan Simpson at evan@4-am.com wrote:

> Christopher Petrilli wrote:
>
>> I've committed in Evan Simpson's Python Methods into the core distribution,
>
> Woohoo!
>
>> however there are a few changes, some minor, some major:
>>
>> * All pieces of the unsafe version have been removed, this is
>> non-negotiable.
>
> Do you mind if I put up an XXXPythonMethod Product for those reckless souls
> who want them?

Nope, of course not.  You can even make them sing and dance.  I just wanted
to make sure that Zope didn't ship with this because of the risks involved
with it.  This was too frightening to contemplate.

>> * Object traversal, and traversal_subpath
>
> In retrospect, these aren't necessary if people are willing to use
> SiteAccess.  If they prove to be popular, you should probably remove their
> "magical" quality and put an "Allow traversal?" checkbox on the main edit
> form.

This is what popped into my mind, so I'll probably whip this in in the next
few days. How it gets done is a separate issue :-)

>> * Access to things like the formatters via "magic namespace"
>
> There have been several times when I've wanted access to these in *DTML*, much
> less PMs, as in:
> <dtml-call expr="REQUEST.set('foo',
> ??how_do_I_call_a_special_format??(the_text_to_format))">

I agree, so perhaps this is a bigger issue that needs to be "thunked" :-)

Chris