[Zope-dev] Why is TemplateDict so opaque? -and- Have youseen this problem?

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:38:53 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Although I think that the current situation is, on some level,
> justifiable, I'd also love to improve it.  While I understand
> why it is necessary to pass "_.None, _", I'd love for it to
> be unnecessary.
>
> After reading your rant, I've given some thought to this and
> I think I might have an idea how to accomplish it. It does
> involve some, uh, hijinks under the hood, but I do think it is doable
> and am in favor of it myself. I'll put a request into the collector
> and will champion it with the Zope project management folks.

Nifty.

Another issue that this may solve is the inconsistant way of
calling methods. Originally, when writing GUF, the concept was
the Zope administrator could use any Zope method to populate userlists,
roles etc. However, as DTML methods require these magic variables,
I had the choice of:
    - Using DTML calling conventions, and methods that could not
      fake it (Python Methods, External methods) would have to
      be called from a DTML stub. ZSQL methods are be the main one affected.

    - Put in a special case if meta_type == 'DTML Method', making the
      code and documentation more complex.

--
 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au