[Zope-dev] Pre-Announce: Mailbag Mail Archiving Product

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 15:09:13 -0600

I have a new SoftwareProduct, MailBag, up on my zope.org page:

  http://www.zope.org/Members/tseaver/Mailbag

The intent of the product is to make it possible to catalog the [Zope] and
[Zope-dev] archives so that I can search them using full text indexing -- Amos
has/had a primitive version of this up on the 12080 port at www.zope.org, but I
wanted to tackle a reasonable Python product for myself.

>From the README:
Mailbag Readme

 This product packages a couple of Python classes for managing mail
 archives:

   **MailMessage** -- parses an RFC822-compliant message into
      headers and body; makes most commonly-used headers available
      as named properties. (Uses the Python rfc822 module to parse
      the message).

   **MailFolder** -- a simple, Folderish container for MailMessages.

>From the TODO list:
Mailbag ToDo's (0.01)

 Known Bugs

   * (none)

 Questions

    * My Zope Zen is missing on at least a couple of cylinders when
      it comes to making a "folderish" product in Python -- I don't
      understand *why* the code in MailFolder is working, where
      several previous incarnations didn't.  Specifically, the
      meta_types and all_meta_types() of MailFolder seem to
      interfere with the global meta_types!

 Enhancements

   * Handle MIME / UUEncoded messages.

   * Optionally store the whichHeaders preference in a cookie
     (currently passed as a URL parameter).

   * Sample ZClient script for automatic load from MTA.

   * Cross-reference MailMessages to enable following threads.

   * Add method, threadList(), to MailFolder, enumerating top-level
     threads.

Please have a look if this product might interest you -- I'd like a little
preliminary feedback before kicking it out to the general Catalog.  Also, if
anyone feels sufficiently Zen enough, could somebody please post a lucid HowTo
on creating Folderish products?  (I guess I'm volunteering, only I need my Zen
level raised a bit first).

Thanks!
Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com