[Zope-dev] Q/ regarding 'Broken Product'

Thomas Riedl triedl@linuxland.de
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:05:50 +0200

Hi there;

stumbling over a $§#@ issue, a few questions arose regarding Products:

I'm happily zopeing away my time while trying to implement a simple
Product; this is group of a keyword-indexed list of incidents; one
could easily think of it as some kind of support system.

I started to implement this as 3 python classes, namely the group, the
keyword and the incident class; the group objects are added via selection
list and Add button, so they have Zope-ID's.

They contain lists of keyword and incident object instances, with the
keyword and incident objects having their own reference lists. All my
objects are created persistent.

Problems:
=======================
Whenever there's a "severe" error (like a syntax error in the Product
python code), I see a 'broken Product'.

Sometimes I'm able to fix the error and to then reuse my created Product
instances and all its subsidiary objects.

Sometimes the Product instance will have ceased to exist, which is quite a
P.I.T.A.

Nevertheless, the Product keeps on showing up as 'Broken', including its
out-dated Traceback, until I "delete" it and restart Zope.

Q#1: How can I 'mend' a broken Product w/o deleting it?
Q#2: How can I avoid the grim reaping of its instances upon tiny errors
	like a missed out ')' ?

Q#3: When I change attributes of e.g. an anonymous keyword object: will
	this inevitably result in the often_heard_of database
	inflation 'til next pack day?

Flame bait:
Q#4: Am I doing The Right Thing (creating 'anonymous' objects), or would
	a Zopeing One Perfectly Enlightened choose to e.g. create tons of
	directly accessible objects like 'ID=keyw_adaptec_scsi_controller'
	or 'ID=incident_1999_05_03_17_42_05_923' ?
     Currently I'm quite happy using methods mapping object identifiers
     to objects (like <!--#with "get_kw('scsi_controller')"-->) and
	then accessing their attributes

1K TIA

tom (in heavy reconsideration mode right before the final coding)

MfG: Thomas Riedl
triedl@linuxland.de, (+49 89) 99 34 12 - 11,        http://www.linuxland.de
Stefan-George-Ring 24, 81929 München