[Zope-dev] Zope does dynamic, Linux kernel does static pages?

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:10:43 -0500

There may be a simpler approach, less clever but perhaps faster to
implement.  Have objects give ZServer a "time to live" value, which is set
as a property on the object, but whose value is associated in the cache
with the request URL.

So if objects foo and bar have dtml method baz, and baz has a time-to-live
of say 5 minutes, then the results of calling /foo/baz and /bar/baz should
each be cached for a maximum of 5 minutes from the call.  This value could
be acquired, allowing the source object (or its class) to set it.

While not perfect, this could do quite well for a lot of applications -
especially of the portal/squishdot variety.